1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SEMCNABB, Jul 10, 2011.

1. SEMCNABB

SEMCNABB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    South Mississippi
    I got two Americanas and was told they were hens but one is starting to look like a roo. They are about 4 months old. I will try and get a better photo. They are so big, they are twice the size of my RIR girl.

[​IMG]

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    im definitely no expert but by 4 monthe it should have a bigger comb so i would say hen.

3. SEMCNABB

SEMCNABB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    South Mississippi
    Thanks they are just soooo big! My husband says they look like eagles they are so big.

4. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    This is just my opinion but I think they are both hens.

5. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Quote:I agree. That combs is too small and light colored. I also don't seen any pointed saddle feathers. By 4 months it shouls have all this traits and be crowing if it's a roo.

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Okay, I've been wrong before, but I think the one on the right is a rooster. I can't see the other one well enough to guess. Got more pics?

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I agree, the one on the right looks like a cockeral. Heavy legs, redder pea comb and what appears to be the beginning of saddle feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by