Hen or Rooster??

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
Just picked up this Cochine today, now it's under debate whether it's a hen or a rooster. It was by itself all day and did not lay an egg and yet it has not crowed... You tell me what you think.... I want to say Rooster because the waddles are really long but the BYC person I got this from thinks it's a hen... So now it's under debate.... She or he is small like a hen but with the waddles being so long and even the crown is kind of high..I say it's a Rooster.

34179_img_20110909_202513.jpg

34179_img_20110909_202519.jpg

Last edited:
She looks like a hen to me. Just because she did not lay an egg today doesn't mean she's not a hen. You cannot expect a hen to lay everyday, there are a lot of reasons why she did not lay today. She's is probably still stressed out with her new surroundings. She could be molting too. Like I say, give her some time until she's comfortable. Don't expect her to lay so soon. It could take a week or two.

Last edited:
Quote:
NOPE, you have it wrong, first of all she never came to me until this evening, she was at her usually living space all day. She was separated but at her home. I got her this eveing after work about 5:45pm. We had separated her to see if she was the one laying eggs in a coop with about 20 other chickens.. Now the molting could be something.. My point was she didn't lay an egg nor did she crow. So it was undebate as to what the sex was. I really wanted a hen and I think she is just GORGEOUS.. I also took a Rooster that is outstanding in color. But if she is a she, it's going to be GREAT to have the two be a pair because they are both gorgeous looking birds... So I'm really hoping she is a hen...

Hen. If she is laying, check her vent. A rooster or non-laying hen will have a small, tight, pinched-looking vent. Also, the tips of the pelvic bones will be about two finger-widths apart if she's laying. She may still have been stressed from being separated, even if in her own home, but regardless, hens don't always lay every day, especially if she's just starting.
smile.png
She's beautiful... makes me want cochins of my own.
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Hen. If she is laying, check her vent. A rooster or non-laying hen will have a small, tight, pinched-looking vent. Also, the tips of the pelvic bones will be about two finger-widths apart if she's laying. She may still have been stressed from being separated, even if in her own home, but regardless, hens don't always lay every day, especially if she's just starting.
smile.png
She's beautiful... makes me want cochins of my own.
smile.png

I will check these things out tomorow thank you. I know hens don't lay every day and I also got to thinking about the weather, it's starting to get a tab bit cold here. I think they would stop laying soon any how. I know occassionaly I will have one of my Rhode Island reds lay an egg in the winter but not to often and the silkies completely stop.... But where I got her, because of all the ones in the coop, we wasn't for sure that she was the one laying the eggs.. and today there was no eggs in the coop. Makes me wonder even more, if she was the one doing it. HA HA HA I think that's wonderfuly if everyone here thinks shes a hen. That's good enough for MEEEE, I was SURELY hoping.... YEPPPPPIIEEEEE.......​

Back
Top Bottom