hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lobster omlette, Dec 4, 2011.

1. lobster omlette

lobster omlette Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    I know nothing about keeping chickens. Mine are about 4mos old best guess how can I tell if the seller hoodwinked me or not? I can't have a rooster I'm sure the neighbors will complain of the noise, so far they are quite enough. thanks all

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    how old are they??.....if you could post some pics that would be helpful....some ways to tell are..... how big and red the comb is...if they have saddle and tail feathers....how
    thick the feet are.....and of course if they crow!.......... [​IMG]

3. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. Yep, if they crow they are roosters. Many breeds cannot be sexed as chicks so it's luck of the draw. We incubated 11 eggs and got 9 roosters. Sheesh.

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    If you have roosters, you should be able to see the pointed hackle(neck) and saddle (back) feathers coming in.

Saddle feathers on a young roo
    [​IMG]
    Here he is a little older
    [​IMG]

edit: posted same picture [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

above poster is right, on my roo, you can see the hackle and saddle feathers really easy,
    the lighter colored ones, yellowish around base of tail and neck...

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    heres my roo. i used paint to lable the signs of a roo feather wise...at 4-5 months you should see hackles at lest and eaither saddles poping out or coming in

[​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:if you can post some pics it can help us determine if they are roos for you. you can use photobucket to post the pics as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by