Hen Or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hennypennyinmissouri, Jul 1, 2008.

1. hennypennyinmissouri

hennypennyinmissouri Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Hi I am a newbie. I bought this leghorn 3 weeks ago and I was told she was a hen. Now the last 2 mornings at 5:30 a.m. she has started I think what is crowing. I had heard it before a couple times during the day but thought she may have just been discovering her voice. Now she crooks her neck up in the air when she does it though, and she does it over and over again. I have looked up pictures of both hen and rooster leghorns and I just can't tell. I will be so sad if she is a he. I can't keep roosters, and had told that to the guy I purchased her from, I could not. I am hoping she is trying to be the alpha hen and act like a rooster. But you tell me. Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Sure looks Roo like to me but I am also not too familiar with this breed.

3. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    imo i think its a hen!

4. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Rooster.

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Its a rooster, But he is not a Leghorn..White O.E. Game Bantam

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Pine Grove called it. Very pretty boy!

7. hennypennyinmissouri

Jun 16, 2008
    wow I just found old english game bantam on You Tube...and I think you are exactly right. He even does the neck thing just like they did on you tube. Thanks for all your help.

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Can you still keep him? [​IMG]

9. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    OEGB Roo

10. hennypennyinmissouri

Jun 16, 2008
    I don't think so..But I don't know what to do. He is the most friendliest guy all together, I already am in love with him. I am not suppose to have chickens period where I live. I think the neighbors would definatly turn me in.

But I don't know. I crazily keep thinking if I brought him in every night and put him out only after about 9 am that way he wouldn't wake anyone up,,,,I might try and keep him he really doesn't crow any louder than all the birds we have in this neighborhood. I am just gonna have to think about it. He is gorgeous!Thanks all . I 'll let ya know what i do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by