Hen or Rooster?

Ariel188

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2012
Southern CA
I woke up this morning to my hen cock-a-do-doling and to a flood of water everywhere. I am new to chickens and I got 8 hens from a breeder at 2 weeks old. They are now 5.5 months old and I have not gotten any eggs yet. Can you please tell me what you think? I have a video too if I can post that somewhere? Thank you.

Last edited:
OMG, oh noes what am I going to do!?  I have to call the breeder right now!

did the breeder guarantee they would all be hens?

Most will just offer guesses, even hatcheries only offer a 90% rate of successful vent sexing. Looks like this breeder did a fabulous job otherwise. 1 out of 8 is really good for a breeder.

Yes she did 100% guarantee them to all be girls. I did have take one back that was aggressive at about 1.5 months old and she said yes it was a hen. The breeder thought maybe it could have been a rooster since it was aggressive. I never had any problems with Kara being aggressive. The breeder lives over an hour away though and Kara is pretty big for the car. I did notice "her" body structure looked different than the others and "she" was bigger but never really thought much of it till now.

Have any ideas for how I can take care of the flooding? Think drains will helps or will they kick sand down em so they will clog up?

Last edited:
Yes she did 100% guarantee them to all be girls.  I did have take one back that was aggressive at about 1.5 months old and she said yes it was a hen.  The breeder thought maybe it could have been a rooster since it was aggressive.  I never had any problems with Kara being aggressive.  The breeder lives over an hour away though and Kara is pretty big for the car.  I did notice "her" body structure looked different than the others and "she" was bigger but never really thought much of it till now.

Have any ideas for how I can take care of the flooding?  Think drains will helps or will they kick sand down em so they will clog up?

I'd use leaves. They helped my muddy run.

I'm sorry that Kara is a boy :( It sucks getting attached and having to re-home them. 2 weeks is very early to sex them with 100% accuracy.

Looks like he is an EE, but has a girl colour. Maybe this is what she was going by.

Yes I am actually quite devastated, Kara was one of my FAVORITES. But there is no way we can keep "her" now, I have neighbors and "she" is LOUD!!

PS The water is actually like 3-4 inches in some places, Ill go take another photo.

Here are some more photos of the flooding. Also can you please look at each Hen carefully and tell me if you think anymore are boys? Thank you!

Here are some more photos of the flooding.  Also can you please look at each Hen carefully and tell me if you think anymore are boys?  Thank you!

Definitely the only boy is Kara.

That red hen is about ready to lay too :)

The flooding looks better in these pictures. Unless it's in their run, I wouldn't do much about it. If you get a few sunny days, it should dry up.

Thank you SO much!!!! Oh and how can you tell that Fraya (the red ameracuna) is getting ready to lay? I didnt know you could tell that!

As far as the flooding, yes it is in their coop and its really muddy with standing water. The coop is only 8ft by 4ft (tiny imo for 8 birds) so I just leave the little gate open for them. I was worried about predators so I used to lock them in each night, but I dont get up until mid morning sometimes and I feel bad to keep them stuck in the little coop until I get up. I dont think any predators will climb our fence, do you?? I did find a dead mouse on the rocks the other day, so I dont know how it died or if it was getting the chickens food overnight. Thank you for all your help, you are so intelligent and knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom