1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rhys1377, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Rhys1377

Rhys1377 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

Hi guys we bought chickens from the pet store being told that there is a two percent chance that you will get a rooster.We bought one Rhode island red, one Leghorn and two Australorps they are now 14 weeks old and we are noticing that one of the australorps look very different to the other it also has a much larger comb than the rest of the chickens and bigger bumps on the side of its legs. It also seems to be the boss of the flock. Could someone please help me out and tell me if i have a rooster or not? Thankyou.

In the picture this is the two Australorps with the Rhode island red as you can see it has a much larger comb.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Ummm... I see only one Australorp in that picture... Plus possibly a brown leghorn and the RIR?

3. Rhys1377

Jan 21, 2013
    yeah it doesnt look like a Australorp sdoes it? but thats not what the pet store said hahah im sorry i dont no what RIR is?

4. Rhys1377

Jan 21, 2013
    oh and could you tell of what you think could it be a rooster?

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    RIR = Rhode Island Red

Could you get a closer picture? That would help!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. Rhys1377

Jan 21, 2013
    Thankyou for that sorry im new to this.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Your brown leghorn WILL have a huge comb, trust me. The hens' combs are as big and maybe bigger than some other breed roosters - the leghorn rooster will have a HUGE comb.

8. Rhys1377

Jan 21, 2013
    okay sorry for the late reply i had to go out and take a picture
    [​IMG]
    this is a picture of its leg keep in mind they are only 14 weeks and this has got bigger bumps on its legs than my 3 and a half year old chickens i know they have big combs i already have a 3 and a half year old RIR but its comb is almost bigger than the old RIR

9. Rhys1377

Jan 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is another picture of it you cant see its face (sorry) but you can still see how bright the comb is

10. Rhys1377

Jan 21, 2013
    sorry in the first picture i think there might of been of bit of counfusement there is a white leghorn its just not in the photo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by