Hen or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AmateurChickie, Aug 29, 2013.

1. AmateurChickie

AmateurChickie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Here is a close up of a chicken I put up the other day, just asking which breed and some said she looks like a rooster.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry for the bad photos, they don't like people.
    She is a lot bigger than the hen that was hatched the same day, but the only thing she has the same as the roosters is her neck feathers.
    Both of our roosters looks exactly the same in colouring and everything

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I'm definatly no expert but yeah it does have a rooster look about it even just looking at these blurry photos.

Those long skinny neck feathers are something only the boys get so if this one has them then sounds like its a boy.

3. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    That's a lot of red comb. How old is it?

4. AmateurChickie

Aug 25, 2013
    I don't know exactly, but when I first moved here at the end of May, s/he was still hanging around the mum I think they stopped being with her somewhere in June, maybe even the start of July. I thought there was a lot of red comb as well, but some of the hens have a bright red comb, I don't think as big as that one though.

We thought s/he was just really fat and fluffly. I've been watching it the past couple of days to see if it does anything rooster-y. The other young rooster we have always chases the girls and tries to fertilize their eggs, but they don't let him and the big rooster chases him away, how old do they start doing that?
    I don't think the young rooster (not this one) is fully grown yet, he's still smaller than our older rooster.

Thanks for replying!

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    looks like a rooster to me, but the pics are pretty blurry

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Well, its silkied, so its going to be hard to sex without a good full body pic, it does look like a rooster though. I see some feathered legs, it maybe a silkie/cochin cross, but both parents would of had to carry the silkied gene, as it is recessive.

7. AmateurChickie

Aug 25, 2013
    Thanks, all. I will try and get a better picture a bit later and upload tonight when I can.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by