hen or rooster,???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clairegareth, Oct 20, 2013.

1. clairegareth

clairegareth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    This is crispy she doesn't crow but has feathers like a rooster we not quite sure plz help [​IMG] the one in middle

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I can see why you are confused. That tail and neck definitely make the statement: I'm a boy. But his comb and wattles are definitely undeveloped at this point in his life. Almost looks like he was dubbed. What is his age?

3. clairegareth

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    Prob around 5/6 months and i thought exactly the same thing,,,thats what co.fused me the wattles and comb,,,she is quite a lot bigger than the others the black hen is the same age

4. Seems like a rooster to me! Is he a Rhode Island Red?

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Looks like a brahma cross rooster. I can see a peacomb(that's why its so small and that's why the wattles are so small too). Does he have feathers on his legs, its hard to tell in the pic?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 A late developing cockerel for sure.

7. clairegareth

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    He is a Brahma cross and yea feathers on his feet,,wasnt ready for one yet but hey we got him now

8. clairegareth

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    So now he is a cockeral when are they sexually mature and what about the eggs,,can you eat them or should we just leave them plus how long does it take to hatch never had cockerel before

9. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    You can eat the eggs, I would just suggest collecting and refrigerating every day.

If you have a hen go broody and want to sit on eggs takes 21 days. I have only had two hens go broody out of my 30.

10. clairegareth

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    We have a white sultan that is constantly in the coop,,,would like to raise the chicks but haven't the first clue where to begin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by