hen or rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tucsoncorey, Sep 11, 2008.

1. tucsoncorey

tucsoncorey New Egg

Sep 11, 2008
    I have 2 Egyptian Faoumi hens that are 4.5 years old. All of a sudden, well really over the last two months, one has grown spurs, saddle feathers (that lovely golden color!) and has grown long, curly black-green tail feathers. What is going on? Anyone ever seen anything like this?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OHH Sounds interesting...can you post a picture!? Would love to see it.

3. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    From what I know of ducks, when a female becomes messed up in her sex organs & they stop working etc, she starts to change plumage to look like a male. This might be what's happened to your hen.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, usually only the left ovary is functional, if it get damaged or for whatever reason quits working the right one kicks into gear and produces testosterone. It's a weird bird thing. [​IMG]

5. player1

player1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    cool, sounds awesome, in a way, i heard that when a male dies a female will change sex to replace it ...something to do with the pecking order

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Quote:Not quite correct, if you have a group of roosterless hens the dominant one will sometimes start crowing to attract another rooster. They will not change gender tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by