Hen or roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Scruzet, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Scruzet

Scruzet In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2018
    Hi,
    My chicks are about 6 weeks old. One is a buff Orpington and the other a Barred rock. Any help on if they look like hens or roosters? Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    So, neither of those are what you were told they are. The barred one is actually a dominique, and seems to be feathering in single barred so that would indicate that it is a pullet. Unless of course it's a cross breed, in which case it would be entirely possible for a male to be single barred. The other appears to be a red sex link, and the coloring on her also indicates that she is a pullet.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X2

JedJackson and drumstick diva like this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    X3 not a buff orp wrong color and wrong color legs. Not a Barred rock , wrong comb

JedJackson likes this.
  5. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    Not Barred Rock and Buff Orpington. The black one is a Dominique and looks like a cockerel, the buffy-one looks like it's a Red Sex-Link and is a pullet =)
    Very pretty, though!

6. BubbaLikesIt

BubbaLikesIt Songster

Feb 9, 2013
    Dominique and a Red Star is what it looks like. Although, that is a lot of comb development for a Dominique that young. A Pea Comb on a pullet usually doesn't form that fast. I SAID USUALLY. Doesn't really mean anything, but it looks like you have at least 1 pullet guaranteed. If you do have a Dominique rooster there and you need a rooster, not a bad one to have.

7. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Can you wait a week or two, then post pics of their combs again? The barred one has a awful red looki comb.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: