1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen or tom

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Sylverfly, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    How do you tell if your turkey is a tom or a hen. My pet turkey is about 5 months old. Here is a head shot I will try to get a body shot later if needed. Also is there a way to tell what kind of turkey it is everyone always asks me and I have no idea, wild, bronze, broad breasted no clue here.

[​IMG]

2. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Could you get a full body shot and a shot of the feet, then I can answer the breed and whether its a tom or a hen.
    ps is this a house turkey?

3. VI KING RANCH

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  4. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    No not a house turkey but if I go into the house it tries to fly in through the windows and screams until I come back out, so I guess it wants to be a house turkey but that is not going to happen anytime soon. It is just a very friendly turkey. Heres a body and foot shot, forgive me for the dirty coop the turkey is rarely in there and as soon as the ground unfreezes the coop will be cleaned well.
    s[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. VI KING RANCH

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Looks like a tom, it also looks like it could be a broad breasyed bronze cross. Looking at the feet it looks like it has wild in him so who knows, when you cross a wild you usely get really different colors so this guy might just be a wild...I guess I broke my promise lol!

6. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    lol!

7. Mort Bondurant

Mort Bondurant Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    The best way to tell is to check the hat and then taste it. I'm half sure that this is a tom.

Mortimer

8. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    bronze/Narraganset's HEN!!!!!!! SHE NEEDS A BONNET [​IMG] IS THIS THE ONLY TURKEY YOU HAVE?? IF SO THEN HE IS A SHE. I KNOW BECAUSE "No not a house turkey but if I go into the house it tries to fly in through the windows and screams until I come back out, so I guess it wants to be a house turkey but that is not going to happen anytime soon. It is just a very friendly turkey." THE HEN SEE YOU AS HER TOM AND WILL FOLLOW YOU ANY WHERE YOU GO!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] only hens are this friendly, I know because I have toms and hens. some of my hens will have nothing to do with the toms which breaks the toms hearts [​IMG] they will have only me AND WILL ONLY FOLLOW ME ANYWHERE [​IMG] WHY, I DO NOT KNOW BUT IT SHUR IS FUNNY TO SEE THEM do so. if I am somewhere outside and they need to be closer, I do a turkey call and man do they COME RUNNING TO CATCH UP TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  9. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Sylverfly, your bird is 100% male. Anyone who tells you it is a hen is either pulling your leg or doesn't know how to sex a turkey.
    At this age, all the plumage characteristics of a tom are evident. The dark barring on the breast, wing coverts and sides,and the pronounced snood and carruncles..... all tom. Get him a girl friend or two and you'll be in the turkey business in no time. And yes, he will be fertile his first spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by