Hen packing straw on her back

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dodgegal79, May 27, 2008.

1. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I seen one of my Jersey Giant hens today doing something really wierd. She would pick and few pieces of straw off the ground and put them on her back. She would then keep walking along doing this as seh went. It kept falling off but she would just keep picking it up and put it back on. Has anyone seen chickens do this before?? Is she maybe trying to transport it somewhere??

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My polish girls do that just before they lay an egg. Sometimes right afterward too.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Mine will sometimes do that before laying an egg. Maybe they are making a nest back there. [​IMG]

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    My RIRs do that everytime they get ready to lay an egg. They will set in the nest putiing straw on their backs and move straw around to get the nest jut right! LOL the are so nuerotic LOL!

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

some cage birds do that as well, particularly some types of the lovebirds. It's so cute to see a little peach-face or blue-face walk around with a rump full of paper strips sticking out like a little hula skirt... [​IMG]

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    That sounds so neat, I have never heard(or seen my chickens doing it) of that before. It is neat that even after being domesticated for so long, they still have somewhat of an urge to actually "build" a nest. Mine re-arrange what is in their nest box, but have never wanted to "add" to it(other than eggs).

-Kim

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Thought maybe she was trying to make herself a chicken (rooster?) saddle!!!!! [​IMG]

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Penny did that the last time she was trying to go broody...she'd pick up twigs and grass and toss them on her back.

9. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Ok that makes sense. She was near the nesting boxes, it was just funny to see her walking around with straw on her back and her adding more as she was going alone.

10. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Somebody NEEDS to get a picture of this. I want to see it!

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by