Hen Panting and Won't stand up

mjhunter84

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
I have a 18 week red sex link. She was fine this morning but now won't stand and is panting. My husband laid down weed and feed all around thier coop and I believe that she might have eaten it. Could this be the cause? Is there anything I can do?

She is gone. :( Not sure why my husband thought it was okay to put that around their coop. This is our first chicken that we have lost.

Yes, your hen may have been accidentally poisoned.

The chickens especially will eat the weed and feed pellets.

I would keep your hen confined and away from where the weed and feed was placed. Make sure the hen has water. Other than that, the only thing you can do is take the hen to a veterinarian.

She is gone. :( Not sure why my husband thought it was okay to put that around their coop. This is our first chicken that we have lost.

I am sorry you lost your hen.

You live and learn. Now you know you have to either pull or cut the weeds around the coop.

Make sure you keep any other chickens away from the area where the weed and feed was spread.

So heartbroken for you... I saw your original post 1 minute after you posted and while I was looking for info on what you could do, your second post came through.. 1st, I would beat your husband (kidding of course)... 2nd, I agree with Bullitt to keep your remaining flock away from the area (which I'm assuming will either be difficult or piss off the remainder of your flock)... You may be able to water the crap out of the area to get the weed & feed to break down into the soil quicker...

For the future, there are types of 'organic' weed & feeds. Also, AG Lime (ag=agriculture lime) is a good fertilizer for lawns and is fine around chickens cause it is just crushed limestone which equals calcium carbonate. Please research before you buy, I have noticed some mfgrs will call it AG Lime when it really isn't...Need to verify with the ingredients/materials listed on bag.

So sorry..
hit.gif

I wouldn't think purchasing fertilizer would not be needed when a person has chickens. I was thinking the weed and feed was primarily used to control the weeds, especially when it is spread around the chicken coop.

Last edited:
We live in a neighborhood and got a letter about our 10 weeds out front so my husband purchased weed and feed for the front lawn. I was assuming he was only using it out front. He got up really early this morning and went out and spread the weed and feed. He decided that he would just do the whole yard front and back. :( Yes trying not to slap him silly!!!! He feels really bad. So far all the rest seem fine. He put boards around the run so they can't peck the grass around them and tonight when the chicken go to bed he will water and hope to break it down.

Back
Top Bottom