Hen Panting, Trying to Crow or Clear Throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kayla s Poppop, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Kayla s Poppop

Kayla s Poppop New Egg

Dec 14, 2010
    Help please. I have a barred rock hen that appears now to be sick. I noticed two days ago that she was trying to crow or clear her throat. Didn't really think that much of it as she was alert, out with the other hens, drinking and eating.

Yesterday I found her in the hen house sitting in the middle of the floor resting. I went in and checked on her and she appeared ok and went outside with the others.

Tonight when I closed up the hen house, I noticed she is in the middle of the floor, not roosting with the others like she normally does and she is panting.

I have no clue what to do for her and worried that this might spread to the others. It was very cold three nights ago, thinking maybe she just got to cold? We have a heat light in that comes on at 38 and off at 50.

We have 4 barred rocks, 1 buff orpington and 6 rhode island reds.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kayla's Poppy & Nanny

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would isolate her to keep track of her eating drinking, and her droppings. Try feeding her eggs or something she really likes. Aspergillosis is a fungal infection that chickens can get from molds in the coop and outside in the environment, plus from food that has gone bad or gotten wet. Also moldy pine shavings or hay can cause it. It can cause a loss or change of voice, lethargy, and many other symptoms. Here is a link: http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disfungi.htm

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by