Hen partially paralyzed by lice infestation, will she return to normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lambie333, Aug 1, 2014.

1. lambie333

lambie333 In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    I have a hen who I discovered was very sick from a lice infestation. I separated her, treated her and have been feeding and watering her basically by force. She sleeps all the time, and if she tries to walk, she stumbles or kind of flails around, as if blind? her head is usually pointed up, she mostly stumbles only backwards, and occasionally flails her head around. For a while she opened neither eye, now she occasionally opens both, but one never opens fully.
    My question is this: if I keep nursing her along, can she recover, ie, "unparalyze" herself so she can return to her flock? Or do I need to put her out of her misery? She has shown signs of improvement, but still unable to walk, feed, drink on her own. I initially discover the lice on her about 4 days ago. The more severe symptoms started after I treated her with de and permethrin.

2. mpguay

mpguay Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    can you post a pic or 2?

3. lambie333

lambie333 In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    [​IMG]

4. mpguay

mpguay Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    Wow. She doesnt look good at all. looks neurological.

I wonder if she has an underlying issue and the mites were a secondary opportunistic infection.

I am not an expert but my suggestion would be to put her out of her misery.

So sorry. Anyone else have an idea?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

-Kathy

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Look up "wry neck"

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: