*****Hen pecked at chick from different Hen****

rsimental11

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Hey everyone,

Quick question. I have almost a full grown hen that I've had for almost 6 months now. Yesterday I went and bought a chick to raise. I was curious to see the hen's reaction to the chick when near each other and the hen kept pecking at the chick hurting it. Why was she doing that? How old can I reintroduce the chick to her? I'm afraid she'll hurt her being so small. Thanks.

Unless a hen is broody she will not accept a chick and may even kill it. You will need to raise this chick in a brooder, preferably with a few other chicks, not alone. Mine move out of the brooder into a grow-out pen next to the older birds at 5 weeks old but are still separated by a fence. When they are about 10 to 12 weeks old then you can work on integrating them with older birds. By then pecking order fights are pretty minimal. They need to be about the same size otherwise you have the problems you are experiencing now. Older hens will attack and sometimes even kill new younger, smaller birds. Chickens HATE newcomers and they can be brutal.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I figured it was only natural for my bigger hen. I appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom