1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen pecked new chick very badly!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nikolairapunzel, Jun 29, 2016.

1. nikolairapunzel

nikolairapunzel Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2015
    Our easter egger, Milky Way went broody and I got a couple of fertilized eggs for her to sit on. One hatched and this morning I went out to check and found the little chick trembling in the box with her. I went to try and get the chick under Milky Way and noticed the blood on the back wall. She pecked this little chick really badly. It's raw on a large portion of the left side of it's head and it also appears to have had it's left eye pecked. Either that or the swelling from the other injuries is making it bulge. Also, it's right eye is not open.
    Behavior wise it cheeps some and it hops around. It will drink if I dip it's beak in, but I have not seen it do that itself (I don't think it can see.) It mainly hops around disoriented. It hasn't eaten yet either. I believe the chick hatched yesterday.
    I'm not sure if I just have my husband put it out of it's misery when he gets home, or if this little chick has a chance. Any advice is welcome. I feel sick for this little baby.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    It sounds like it may pull through. I would suggest rinsing the wound around the eye with some saline solution. You can also try mixing some of the chick mash with some water, and that may encourage it to eat. I would also continue to dip its beak in the water until it gets the hang of it. Good luck!

3. SuperChickRuth

SuperChickRuth Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    Yeah, just keep making sure it's getting water and food, and it will have a good chance of pulling through.
    You will want to clean the chick up, the hen might continue to peck because of the blood- bright color or the taste.
    -I agree with Buff, saline for the eyes.
    Also consider putting something like petroleum jelly on to seal wounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by