Hen pecked or mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adreilly, Aug 21, 2016.

1. adreilly

adreilly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2016
    2 of my birds have started loosing feathers around the face. The worser one has had this for a while. Ive checked for lice and mites but perhaps I dont know what Im really looking for. Thanks for advice! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I could be wrong but I don't think mite feather loss starts on the face? (Please correct me if wrong folks lol)

How many birds do you have in how much room? When we bought our faverolles all their face and tail feathers had been pulled out by the more boisterous breed in with them because they didn't have enough room in their grow out pen. I'm wondering if the same might be happening here. When they get bored from lack of room the more domineering birds will start to pick on the quieter ones and it starts with feather plucking.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  3. adreilly

adreilly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2016
    I have 4 birds that were allbhatched together and are now 12 weeks. They have a 5x8x6 coop and a 24x16 run, and they pasture graze a few hours a day. I have noticed all 4 squeeze onto the top roosting bar which is the smallest at only 2 feet wide, maybe its occuring then?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by