Hen pecked or sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CountryHeart06, Mar 3, 2015.

1. CountryHeart06

CountryHeart06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Chesapeake, VA
    [​IMG]

This is one of my Welsummers who I assumed was being hen pecked. Her eye was like this a week ago and after applying non-medicated neosporin for the last week it is about halfway open now. She also has a good bald spot on her back (we have no roosters). I've been applying some medicine on her back as well. And then today I heard her sneeze. I just recently put some straw in the run with some mealworms to keep them from boredom so wasn't sure if that could do it or if all of these things together point to something worse than henpecking. I'm getting some new older chickens tomorrow and am hoping there isn't anything going around my coop! Anyone have any thoughts on what could be wrong or is it just henpecking and she happened to sneeze? TIA!

2. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie Queen of Stache

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    I think it might just be hen pecking. There's a pecking order in every flock, so the other hens could be picking on her. Have you seen the hens pecking her?

3. CountryHeart06

CountryHeart06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yes I have seen them picking on her. I was just concerned when I heard her sneeze that maybe I had misread what was going on. So will probiotics help the sneezing and maybe the healing time?

4. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    It should.
    Add.more protein to their diet..

5. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie Queen of Stache

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    What type of probiotic are you using? Kefir is the best probiotic that can be used to treat sneezing. Other than that, I'm unsure about other probiotics, but I think they can help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by