Hen-pecked pullet-How do I proceed from here?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redvalor, Sep 12, 2010.

1. redvalor

redvalor New Egg

May 14, 2010
    RI
    Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated. We have had chickens since April and this is our first emergency.

Three days ago, my greyhound inadvertently got a hold of one of my barred rock pullets while I was changing the water in the coop. He dropped her immediately and did no damage to her but she seemed a little stunned. I checked her over, saw no blood and checked for broken wings, etc and put her back in the coop. An hour later, my boyfriend came in to tell me she was being pecked to death. All the others were pecking her head and essentially scalped her.

I scooped her up, brought her in and cleaned her up. I coated the area (and my hands, marble bathroom sink...) with Blu-Kote, put her in a cat carrier and by the next morning she was eating well and her normal spunky self. We gave her free range time outside with the rest of the flock and everything seemed fine. But we gave her one more night in the house to heal.

Yesterday we let her free range again in the evening with the flock and they all went in to the coop to roost. We watched her with the others and all seemed fine. All of her wounds were covered in Blu-Kote so there was no pink to entice the others. This morning my boyfriend went out to look for eggs and found out poor little girl pecked up worse than before, with the cockerel pulling chunks from her neck. She is back in the house in the cat carrier while I figure out what to do.

Will they ever accept her back, even if healed? Would it be best to cull her? I had not planned on doing that to any of our birds, but I guess if it has to be done I can find it in me to do it.

This girl is one of a pair of barred rocks that we added to our flock of six who are 6 weeks older. So she and her 'sister' have never really been integrated well with the others. Her sister still sticks by her, but that obviously isn't enough to keep the others at bay.

Again, any advice would be so appreciated.

Erin

2. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    raise her separately for several weeks and reintroduce her once she is healed and healthy. I just raise em in a dog crate till release. They should mess with her lightly for a day or two,then ignore her then gradually accept her. This has been the case of when I am given pecked up chicks from the feed store. They will attack a weak,pecked bird . But all the ones I have gotten have healed up and been accepted.

Just my 2cents

3. redvalor

redvalor New Egg

May 14, 2010
    RI
    Thanks for the advice. She's been resting all day and behaving normally, except for the wounds on her head. I just let her free range with the others for a few hours and everything went smoothly. I guess that will be the routine until she heals completely and can be reintegrated.
    I really appreciate the help.
    Erin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by