Hen Pecked Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheyen, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I have a swedish flower rooster that's being housed with twelve hens plus one big marans roo. The roosters get along just fine, however there's an obvious hierarchy, with the swedish being second in command. Lately I've been noticing my marans hen bully and beat on the poor fella. She chases him away from the group when they free range, and makes sure he's the last to eat. Well, just a few minutes ago I caught him sleeping on the front porch! Do you think the poor guy's been hen pecked so bad he's an outcast now? All the other chickens treat him just fine, and the big marans even lets him get away with mating with some of the ladies. I don't understand this hen's behavior. She's only doing to this guy in particular. Can chickens have enemies? Lol.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's teaching him manners. She is letting him know she is above him. As he grows and matures, this may change. Is she the favorite of your other rooster?

3. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    No, my orpington hen is actually his favorite. Will things eventually settle down once he knows his place? I can't keep moving him from the porch at night. [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are the chickens?

5. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    The girls are almost a year old now, the marans roo is just over six months, and the swedish is a little bit older than him.

6. Is the roo smaller than the hen? Kinda what Happy Chooks said... The hen is teaching him manners, and he mind end up on top when he's older and more mature. :)

7. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    He is pretty small, I guess. That or my marans hen is just big for her breed, lol. I guess I'll just keep an eye on things for the time being.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, things will settle as he gets accepted. It's so hard when you integrate one bird. When you integrate more than one, the abuse is spread out.

9. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for all your advice, guys! So far, he seems to be standing up for himself. The last time the hen tried to chase him away, he cackled loudly and danced at her. He's also sleeping in the coop again, and is even perching next to his former bully. Looks like he'll be okay now. [​IMG]

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool. It's funny how they can work things out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by