Hen Pecked???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KNAndrs, Nov 1, 2011.

1. KNAndrs

KNAndrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    Alright, so I am doing the perfunctory after Halloween Pickup in the back yard and notice that one of my hens is peck feathers off the others and eating them...

My first thought is pecking order is changing, my second is how long has this been going on, my third is she just started laying again is it a vitamin/mineral need?

I would appreciate any thoughts, the hen is a 20 month old Gold Laced Wyandotte that I purchased 3 months ago at a swap. She is currently in seclusion.

Thanks,
    KEN

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Eating feathers could mean she craves protein.

3. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Try canned cat or dog food! Seriously, I gave some to my gals after the vet told us to change dog food brands. I didn't want to waste perfectly good food so I took it ouside and it was GONE in seconds. This is strictly a supplement to their regular layer. Some people grind up cat or dog kibble in the blender to give as a treat too.

But I finally had to use a plastic anti pick bit to cure my one pick happy RIR of the nasty habit. Diet wasn't a factor.

4. KNAndrs

KNAndrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    Thanks I think I am going to cook up a pot of beans or peas tonight and give that to them with some other fun snacks. Hopefully this will solve the problem temporarily till I can get a higher protein layer feed.

KEN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by