hen pecked

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by archerobx, Feb 29, 2012.

1. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    Added a rooster the other day to 5 have hens. Checked today and he doesnt have a tail and they eere chasing him. Poor rooster. I have him seperated.

2. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    I had a couple of roosters like that a while back. One was a Jersey Giant. You would think as big as that fellow was he would have not been intimidated by the girls. Both were very young. How old is yours?

3. archerobx

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    7 months
    Was worried about putting big guys in for fear of hurting girls.

He fertilized a couple so I guess he will be soup now

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Give him some more time. If he is younger than the hens it can take some time for him to gain their respect. Even if their the same age he's the new bird in the flock and he's a young inexperienced teenager. If they aren;t pecking him to death theres hope. Dinner can wait.

5. archerobx

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    I am thinking of putting a older and bigger rooster in. Three of the hens are probably 3written years old, my childrens first chickens.

Thanks

6. LestersFlat

LestersFlat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Schuyler Lake NY
    I added a roo when my hens were about 7 months old. He was only 6 months, and was horribly treated by the girls, but they didn't hurt him, just kept him at the bottom where they thought he belonged. As soon as he grew bigger than them, they stopped picking on him, but I still don't think he's worked his way up in the pecking order. But you wouldn't know it for how he struts around like the king of all the world!

7. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    Just like a female .... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by