Hen Pecking and egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RockyMtnChick25, Oct 20, 2016.

1. RockyMtnChick25

RockyMtnChick25 New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Kremmling, CO
    I have 14 hens; 7 Buff Orpington, 2 Black Jersey Giants, 2 Light Brahama, 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte and 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte. All 22.5 weeks old

I have 1 Orpington that laid her first egg today and noticed that one of the Giants has been pecked pretty bad on her back. This is the first time that this has occurred. I have separated her and sprayed the injured area with an antibiotic spray for poultry.

Is this just a coincidence or is this another issue?

Any help is appreciated

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Might be a coincidence.....pullets can get a bit rowdy when they start laying, pecking orders can change.

Might not be a great Idea to separate her for too long, integrating a single bird back into the flock can cause more problems.

How big is your coop and run......in feet by feet?
    Pics would be great!

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi and welcome

They sometimes do go through a crazy phase when they start laying as their hormones are all mixed up and some do get quite bossy and aggressive. Orps are not known for meanness, so if it is her, hopefully she will grow out of it. Unfortunately once one has become a victim, she will sometimes lose confidence and then the rest of the flock may also pick on her.
    Having plenty of space and places for the bullied bird to hide out of sight and lots of perches and several feeding stations and hanging cabbages etc to keep them occupied, particularly if they are penned, will help.
    You also could do with spraying the pecked bird with Blu Kote to cover the redness where they have been pecking as they will be attracted to it and peck her more.

Good luck and I hope it is just a passing phase.

Regards

Barbara

1 person likes this.
  4. RockyMtnChick25

RockyMtnChick25 New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Kremmling, CO
    The coop is 10x10 and the yard is the same. there are 5 nesting boxes as well

I am hoping that this is an isolated incident. I am only separating her for the rest of today and tonight.[​IMG]

5. RockyMtnChick25

RockyMtnChick25 New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Kremmling, CO
    I hope that's all it is and my orps have always been the sweetest of the bunch. When I let them out this morning all was fine and no eggs, then when I checked on them after lunch the 1st egg was in the nest and that's when I noticed the injured Giant. She is in pretty bad shape and not able to defend herself, which is why I separated her

Thank you for your help[​IMG]

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is there an enclosed portion (a coop where they sleep) under that roofed area (which I assume is 10x10)?

7. RockyMtnChick25

RockyMtnChick25 New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Kremmling, CO
    Yes, The enclosed area is 10x10. The yard area is a separate 10x10.

I am not concerned that the coop is to small, as I believe that there is adequate space to accomodate the hens.

Thank you for all of your help [​IMG]

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Crowding can cause stress and aggressive behaviors.

1 person likes this.
  9. RockyMtnChick25

RockyMtnChick25 New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Kremmling, CO
    What size coop and yard would you recommend for 14 hens?

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    56sqft in coop and 14sqft in run for 14 birds......MINIMUM.

Could you post closer pics of your coop and run, inside and out?
    It's a nice looking structure...will be nice space in winter.

What is your climate?
    Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

Places to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not dead end traps) and/or up and away from aggressors can help.
    Like I said before, pullets can get a bit rowdy when they start laying, pecking orders can change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by