Hen pecking at back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EchoLakeHens, Dec 14, 2011.

1. EchoLakeHens

EchoLakeHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I have a 10 month old rhode Island red and she just started laying eggs this week. The problem I'm having with her is she started pecking out feathers on an area on her back. She constantly keeps pecking at it to where she has a bald spot about the size of a half dollar. What could it be? Protein deficiency, mites, etc? I have 5 other chickens and nobody else is having that issue except one other who is a little standoffish. But other than that no other problems. I never knew chickens started laying eggs in winter. I have a couple who have never laid and started the last couple weeks.

2. FarmFreshEggs

FarmFreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    Vero Beach
    Im not sure to what it can be? You should check for mites. I think it might be her reaction to laying, only because she just started. Good luck.[​IMG]

3. alliandme

alliandme Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    North Queensland
    Quote:Mites would be the most proable answer [​IMG] Consult your local vet or other chicken breeders in your area. It might be a sickness, or something. [​IMG]

4. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    are you sure she is doing the pecking? Could be the rooster from mounting her?

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It sounds like she might have bugs. You should check her over very carefully. You will need to search for mites at night with a flashlight because that's when they are active on the bird. Lice should be visible at any time. Here's a link to help you figure out what you are looking for:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by