Hen Pecking at Brahma’s Feet

mandersrenee8503

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2021
Colorado
Hello, my head hen (a Wyandotte) has suddenly started pecking at one of my Brahma’s feet where she has feathers. I have a mixed flock of 7 total, and 3 of them have foot feathers. Only my dark Brahma is getting pecked and only by one hen. I think what happened is my Dark Brahma broke a foot feather digging, causing some minor bleeding, and this hen saw, pecked and now won’t leave her alone. None of the others are doing this. I’ve cleaned off her feet several times and get the bleeding stopped, put her back, and eventually same thing happens. Would you separate the bully for a few days? Other ideas?

I hate separating anyone unless it’s absolutely necessary because then it takes forever to reintegrate, and it’s very cold right now, so that’s another gradual reintroduction. I don’t have a garage so any separated birds have to come in the house.

I should also add they get Organic Purina Layer Crumbles, oyster shell, grit, and daily fresh veggies. I’ve tried many times to give my girls mealworms but they all look at me like I’m giving them garbage and won’t touch them, so that’s a no go as far as extra protein. I welcome any ideas, and I guess if I have to separate the bully then I will. Thanks in advance.

Hello, my head hen (a Wyandotte) has suddenly started pecking at one of my Brahma’s feet where she has feathers. I have a mixed flock of 7 total, and 3 of them have foot feathers. Only my dark Brahma is getting pecked and only by one hen. I think what happened is my Dark Brahma broke a foot feather digging, causing some minor bleeding, and this hen saw, pecked and now won’t leave her alone. None of the others are doing this. I’ve cleaned off her feet several times and get the bleeding stopped, put her back, and eventually same thing happens. Would you separate the bully for a few days? Other ideas?

I hate separating anyone unless it’s absolutely necessary because then it takes forever to reintegrate, and it’s very cold right now, so that’s another gradual reintroduction. I don’t have a garage so any separated birds have to come in the house.

I should also add they get Organic Purina Layer Crumbles, oyster shell, grit, and daily fresh veggies. I’ve tried many times to give my girls mealworms but they all look at me like I’m giving them garbage and won’t touch them, so that’s a no go as far as extra protein. I welcome any ideas, and I guess if I have to separate the bully then I will. Thanks in advance.
Try Vic Vapor rub, they don't like the taste........It helps with feather pecking...........

I had this. VERY annoying. What I did was put on some gauze, specifically where the “cut” was, and it stopped the hens from pecking at my rooster’s feet.

I just wanted to say this isn't really her fault. It's more like instinct for her. She's not trying to bully anyone. I get this problem very rarely with chicks pecking each others eyes. It's frustrating. They have a really strong prey drive and shiny things with contrast really just get them going. Think white chick with dark eyes. They don't see eyes they see yummy.

What may have started with a drop of blood has now become and endless game of what if for her. She saw shiny contrast and pecked. She was rewarded with a taste of blood. Separation could possibly take care of this if you separate long enough for her to forget but it in my experience it will not likely work. The only things that will work are making her hate the experience (the other comments are good examples of that). Or your Brahma needs to get mad enough to fight back. She doesn't know she's causing pain.

As far as extra protein, I feed mine some fancy fish based cat food now and then. I wet it for about 10 minutes and give a tiny bit to each chicken. A little goes a long way. You could try something fishy (live fish works too), just check the ingredients for anything you wouldn't want them to eat (like poultry). You can also try boiled or scrambled eggs.

They sell a product called Blu Kote. It coats the foot with this blue color stuff that heals and makes the spot taste bad. This has the added benefit of hiding the red blood. Chickens LOVE red. That would probably be your best bet. Anyways. Hope she figures out feet are not for pecking and I hope your Brahma gets well soon.

Back
Top Bottom