hen pecking at feet feathers, bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkeysandra, Feb 22, 2011.

1. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    what can I do? They must hurt her as she is limping on that foot. I have tried doctoring them with mercuricrome and pain creame at night so she might sleep good, but next morning I find her with the feather stumps that have bled.
    Suggestions welcome!
    I have tried to bandage the foot to keep her from bothering the feather stumps, but it wont stick.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

My guess would be that your hen has mites. You can drown them by dipping her feet, covering all the scales on her feet and legs, in baby oil. Just take an empty bottle of drinking water, cut the top off, fill it with baby oil and dip all of your chickens feet. Every chicken you own will need this treatment, mites spread from one chicken to all the chickens in a very short time.

3. silkeysandra

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    thanks. will do. have baby oil ready. they'll all have a spa day today!

4. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    [​IMG] I have Cochins! Do you bath their legs in oil too?

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You can dip any breed of chickens leg in baby oil to treat mites.

6. silkeysandra

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    My chickeys all are feather footed and I have rubbed baby oil on their feet and legs with no problem--other than grumpy hens. I tell them it's a spa treatment! ha!
    Hope it helps. Have been washing the cages out (they spend the night in old rabbit cages) with water/bleach solution so hope that further aids in destroying any mites. It's a chore to do every morning, but I don't want my girls to feel bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by