Hen pecking at two other hen's comb!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Our girls just started laying. We got our first egg on Thursday. We think it's from "Goldie." Today we got three eggs. I noticed two of my hens have blood coming from their combs. One was very minor. Another was pretty bad and I saw Goldie with blood on her beak. This happened in the afternoon. Goldie didn't fuss at them anymore. Why would this happen? Is it normal? What should I do if anything about it? I'm a first time chicken owner and don't know what any of this means. I have never had any problem with my hens. They have all been together since they were chicks. These girls are 20 weeks today. Red sex links.

2. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    I occasionally find blood on my chickens' combs, as if they got into a fight. Sometimes they fight over a certain nesting box or something else that is pretty minor. One of my hens had a small chunk taken out of her comb but I never figured out if she got her head stuck somewhere or if it was a fight. I haven't had any serious problems - the combs heal up fine on their own. I would just keep an eye out to see if the fighting continues or if the hens resolve their dispute!

3. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Quote:Okay thanks. My husband thought it might be over a nest box. I will defiantly keep my eye on them. Thanks for the response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by