1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen pecking roosters comb

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kevrempel, Nov 20, 2013.

1. kevrempel

kevrempel New Egg

Jun 16, 2013
    Sherwood Park, AB
    We have a small flock, 3 roosters and 7 hens, various breeds. The roosters were starting to fight, so we had the two less dominant roosters for dinner. The hens are 8 months old and laying now. We found blood in the coop after the roosters were taken care of, but then witnessed one of the hens peck the comb of the rooster and it started bleeding. Why would she do this and how can I prevent it?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Chickens are attracted to blood and will often peck on wounds other birds have. Keeping the roo separate until the wound is healed or at least dried, and spraying it with something like Blu-Kote so it isn't as attractive might help. Do you know if it is always the same hen, or if she feather picks also?

3. kevrempel

kevrempel New Egg

Jun 16, 2013
    Sherwood Park, AB
    No she does not feather pick, I believe it is the same hen, I marked her feet to know. But the comb was scabbed over and not bleeding. My concern is even if I get rid of the last rooster will she start on other hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by