Hen pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McEgg, Nov 18, 2007.

1. McEgg

McEgg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2007
    Guthrie, Ok
    2 of my girls are "fighting" as if they are cocks. They are 6 weeks old and ram each other as if they were roosters cockfighting. Now, I admit I have never watched a cockfight(and never intend to) and I am not 100% sure they are hens(even though they look like my other girls-20 weeks)
    Is this normal?
    They act just fine in the run, but when I let them free range they take off running and flying, but after a few minutes just the 2 start it. They don't seem to be serious and nobody gets hurt.

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Your 6 week olds look like your 20 week olds? Like, bright red combs and everything? I'd say you have cockerels.

3. McEgg

McEgg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2007
    Guthrie, Ok
    the younger ones have either a very small comb or none to speak of. They keep flying up in the air and "gut ramming" each other. But then , it's just the two doing it.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would say they are trying out the pecking order. Both of the wants to be the "top hen" They will work it out.

5. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Mine have never gut rammed each other, but they do peck each other constantly.

Not so constantly that they are hurting themselves or even losing feathers...just not so gentle reminders of "who is who" in the hen house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by