Hen pheasant with her brood

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by wilds of pa, Aug 3, 2008.

1. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all, our one Melanistic pheasant hen went broody with a clutch of eggs about 24 days ago, I let her have 10 eggs, i marked those eggs with marker and checked everyday to make sure she didnt get any new eggs from the other hens.

Yesterday we noticed a few chicks peeking out from under her. This morning i went up to the flight pen and noticed she had them off running around in the flight pen.

she has 7 Live babies that hatched out of the 10. 1 chick died in the nest and two did not hatch..

Enjoy the pic's [​IMG]

Thanks
    Charlie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also here is a pic of one of our Wild eastern hens who has decided to set on a late clutch of eggs. She has about six eggs layed now and i think she will lay more.
    This hen for the past 3 years has sat on late clutches here every year. She will lay about 10 eggs and then sit for the next 29-30 days..
    [​IMG]

Here is her sister keeping an eye on things while im getting pic's [​IMG]

Here's the proud tom/papa to be...Benji
    [​IMG]

Heres a young jake pearing into the other flight pen full of young Jenny's were in his eyes the grass is greener on the other side.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Nice pics charlie. Are those Melansitic X

3. wilds of pa

Yup the mother hen is a melanistic and she has 2 blueback chicks, 4 melanistic chicks and 1 mutant black chick..I did pick ALL the eggs for her to hatch. So most of them where from other hens..

Thanks
    Charlie

4. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    You've got some gorgeous birds there. Congratulations on the babies!!

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    You're birds are beautiful!

I love seeing mothers with their brood.

I really enjoyed how beautiful your turkeys were! Wow!

-Kim

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow, they really are pretty.

Do they take a lot of feed in the winter or do you process a lot of them?

Every let any go wild?

7. wilds of pa

Hey thanks all. we love to see the mommy's raise some to..

Yes they do eat a bit, we feed them game bird maintenence in the winter. plus sorhgum and scratch as treats.. I do sell some of the jakes to others locally here, some keep for pets and some do eat them for turkey day... But we dont eat our wilds that we raise as pets..

We hunt wild turkey on the mtn behind our home and normally always take about 2-3 birds every season, they are served for our holiday meals along with ham or roast beef..

Thanks
    Charlie

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  8. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Awesome Charlie! I'm hoping to make the bobs pen pretty natural...and hoping maybe I will get acouple broody gals!
    [​IMG]

9. wilds of pa

Sam good luck with the bobs being broody, the only way i think that will happen is to raise them in a ground pen sort of a small flight pen have you....Ive had mine for some years and ive never gotten a broody yet..I do cut fresh limbs throught the summer for them to hide in and peck at..but to no avail no broody bobs for me yet..Another week and you should be able to candle right..?? [​IMG]

Charlie

10. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Great pics, Charlie! I love seeing birds like this raise their own broods, you see way too many pheasants and such being raised on farms in big brooders. Gorgeous hen as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by