Hen pheasant with her brood

wilds of pa

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2007
The Blue Mountains of Pa
Hi all, our one Melanistic pheasant hen went broody with a clutch of eggs about 24 days ago, I let her have 10 eggs, i marked those eggs with marker and checked everyday to make sure she didnt get any new eggs from the other hens.

Yesterday we noticed a few chicks peeking out from under her. This morning i went up to the flight pen and noticed she had them off running around in the flight pen.

she has 7 Live babies that hatched out of the 10. 1 chick died in the nest and two did not hatch..

Enjoy the pic's
jumpy.gif

Thanks
Charlie

pheasantchicks007.jpg

pheasantchicks012.jpg

pheasantchicks011.jpg

Also here is a pic of one of our Wild eastern hens who has decided to set on a late clutch of eggs. She has about six eggs layed now and i think she will lay more.
This hen for the past 3 years has sat on late clutches here every year. She will lay about 10 eggs and then sit for the next 29-30 days..
pheasantchicks017.jpg

Here is her sister keeping an eye on things while im getting pic's
pheasantchicks018.jpg

Here's the proud tom/papa to be...Benji
pheasantchicks020.jpg

Heres a young jake pearing into the other flight pen full of young Jenny's were in his eyes the grass is greener on the other side.
pheasantchicks019.jpg

Last edited:
Yup the mother hen is a melanistic and she has 2 blueback chicks, 4 melanistic chicks and 1 mutant black chick..I did pick ALL the eggs for her to hatch. So most of them where from other hens..

Thanks
Charlie

You're birds are beautiful!

I love seeing mothers with their brood.

I really enjoyed how beautiful your turkeys were! Wow!

-Kim

Wow, they really are pretty.

Do they take a lot of feed in the winter or do you process a lot of them?

Every let any go wild?

Hey thanks all. we love to see the mommy's raise some to..

Yes they do eat a bit, we feed them game bird maintenence in the winter. plus sorhgum and scratch as treats.. I do sell some of the jakes to others locally here, some keep for pets and some do eat them for turkey day... But we dont eat our wilds that we raise as pets..

We hunt wild turkey on the mtn behind our home and normally always take about 2-3 birds every season, they are served for our holiday meals along with ham or roast beef..

Thanks
Charlie

Last edited:
Awesome Charlie! I'm hoping to make the bobs pen pretty natural...and hoping maybe I will get acouple broody gals!
big_smile.png

Sam good luck with the bobs being broody, the only way i think that will happen is to raise them in a ground pen sort of a small flight pen have you....Ive had mine for some years and ive never gotten a broody yet..I do cut fresh limbs throught the summer for them to hide in and peck at..but to no avail no broody bobs for me yet..Another week and you should be able to candle right..??
cool.png

Charlie

Great pics, Charlie! I love seeing birds like this raise their own broods, you see way too many pheasants and such being raised on farms in big brooders. Gorgeous hen as well.

Back
Top Bottom