Hen picking on coopmate

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gator75, Dec 27, 2016.

1. gator75

gator75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    I had three hens and lost one and now have two.

My BSL has always been a litttle aggressive and my speckled Sussex a pushover. Lately (especially the last couple days) the BSL has removed pretty much all of the feathers off he back of my poor Sussex. They've been alone in the coop for months since the other bird passed. So there's no establishing pecking order involved. The BSL is going full on bully.

Debating rehoming both birds and just starting from scratch with a new flock of 4.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I don't think I would rehomed them unless they were going to a larger flock. Sex links are often dominant birds and Sussex are a more submissive breed. If you rehomed the two birds to someone else as two birds they will probably keep up the dynamics between them.

A bit more information about your set up might help. Often birds start pecking because of boredom or protein deficiencies. I've had troubles in the past from sex links becoming deficient than aggressive because of it. What are you feeding?

Are you interested in keeping these birds? What are your goals? A bit more information is needed.

3. gator75

Aug 25, 2012
    They get laying feed. Occasional hand full of scratch or red wheat, Vegetable scraps, eggs, etc. free range about an hour in the evenings. I would rehome them to a larger flock if I did.

I want eggs and pets. I don't want a hen that is so scared it sleeps in the nesting box like the Sussex is now.

I'll up the protein intake. Thanks for the tip

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  4. gator75

Aug 25, 2012
    Photo[​IMG]

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey there gator75

Your Speckled Sussex looks like she is moulting; those are pin feathers you can see on her neck.

When they moult those pin feathers are very sensitive and they can be a little off colour/sulky, keeping their distance from the flock etc.

Your BSL could be picking on her more than usual because she knows that she is not feeling 100%.

6. gator75

Aug 25, 2012
    That makes sense as she ran from me when I tried to pick her up. She usually squats and lets me pet her. Plus she hasn't laid an egg in almost 3 weeks. She is sleeping in the nesting box and I have seen the BSL peck at her. I'm going to up the feed protein. Hopefully the bullying will pass with the molt.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by