Hen Plucker

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by haddiemoo, Mar 18, 2013.

1. haddiemoo

haddiemoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    I have one rooster and 3 hens in a run about 5 x 10. The last few months I have noticed the rooster with a couple of bad spots where it appears that his feathers have been plucked out. Two weeks ago I noticed that two of the hens had pretty big spots on their backs that also looks like their feathers have been plucked out. At first I did not think much ot if and I took all of the bedding out of their house and treated for mites but the featherless spots are still there and they look pretty bad now.

I have now realized that one of the hens does not have any missing feathers so I figure she must be the wayword plucker. I am going to move her to another pen for awhile to see if the feathers grow back on the others.

This is only my second year with these birds and I am wondering if this is the right thing to do. (I hate to put the poor girl in a pen by herself if she is not the guilty party but I do not know what else to do.) Thanks

2. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    Your hens may be getting more love from the rooster than they want if the bald spots are on the back. How old is the rooster and how old are the hens?Some roosters have way more energy and can pick up a favorite hen and be after the poor girl all day.

3. haddiemoo

haddiemoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    I never really thought about that. I got all four birds last spring and they are about the same age. The thing about it is though the rooster and two of the hens have bald spots and one of the hens does not. This is what is making me think that this hen is the culprit.

4. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

There you go 2 good answers... an extra friskie rooster especially if it the back of the head and back. It could be the 1 hen with all the feathers but they have a habit of going for the softer down feathers around the butt but will grab where ever they can get at them. And yes, if the rooster started things off the other hen must be avoiding him...and seeing the bare spots she can continue from there spreading the bald spot.. I actually have a lady friend who volunteers and knits little sweaters for my birds from time to time. Hilarious!! Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by