Hen "Poo"Question

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
My little OEGB hen has just started setting on 7 eggs the last couple of days. This morning I went out to check on them before work, and to see if she was actually still on the nest. She was up and about. Eating a litte and then go onto the roost when I came into the coop. She acted a little funny so I think she is broody and was just taking a break. I hope. Anyway, by her nest there was a poo that looked like a dog poo. And on the ground was another one, fresher one. The one on the ground was bigger too. About 2 inches or so long and probably close to 1/2 an inch in diameter. Any clue why this would happen? I am feeding her layer pellets and plenty of water and I do throw scraps in of my veggies an fruts. I also give them grit and oyster shell which they just dump on the ground and spread out but I think they eat some. Thanks.

Marie

Not to worry. When hens are brooding they usually only come off of their nests at most once or twice a day to eat and drink and poop. That poop is usually huge and smelly!!!

My broody only comes off of her nest every few days and you should see the poop she does!!!!! Yuk!!

Back
Top Bottom