Hen pooped hard light-yellowish nugget?

Flamestone

Chirping
Jul 9, 2021
Hey guys! About a week ago a hen of mine pooped a solid/hard yellow nugget which through the napkin felt like rubber. Today she pooped again and had the same rubber like remnants. I’ve attached both images below. I have no idea what this is and can’t find anything similar online.
She’s a 2 year old white leghorn and was recently was diagnosed with water belly by a vet (she was also drained). I’ve been keeping her inside while giving her supplements (kicken chicken, phyllanthus niruri, electrolytes with vitamins)
and she’s recovered well so far, no more water has pooled in her abdomen. She has her normal appetite now, crop drains at a normal rate etc. Nothing seems too off with her currently.
Thank you so much for the help and I can answer any other questions of course

Attachments

• 96CD06D6-2500-411F-94DC-41FCC30178B7.jpeg
    96CD06D6-2500-411F-94DC-41FCC30178B7.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 33
  • F73EF210-F407-4C04-93E4-2FC9177954C5.jpeg
    F73EF210-F407-4C04-93E4-2FC9177954C5.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 9
Hey guys! About a week ago a hen of mine pooped a solid/hard yellow nugget which through the napkin felt like rubber. Today she pooped again and had the same rubber like remnants. I’ve attached both images below. I have no idea what this is and can’t find anything similar online.
She’s a 2 year old white leghorn and was recently was diagnosed with water belly by a vet (she was also drained). I’ve been keeping her inside while giving her supplements (kicken chicken, phyllanthus niruri, electrolytes with vitamins)
and she’s recovered well so far, no more water has pooled in her abdomen. She has her normal appetite now, crop drains at a normal rate etc. Nothing seems too off with her currently.
Thank you so much for the help and I can answer any other questions of course
That looks like a lash egg, which is shed tissue and pus. Water belly is a symptom of reproductive infections. Did your vet prescribe antibiotics?

That looks like a lash egg, which is shed tissue and pus. Water belly is a symptom of reproductive infections. Did your vet prescribe antibiotics?
Exactly what I was hoping it wasn’t 🙁 the vet didn’t! I mentioned that antibiotics could be helpful incase of any other infections or anything but the vet brushed it off. Are there any ways to get antibiotics without a prescription?

You can get oral enrofloxacin from pigeon suppliers without a prescription, if they will ship to where you are, some states prohibit it. That is often the choice for salpingitis (what causes lash material). If the condition is advanced, and the water belly (ascites) would indicate that it probably is, then it often does not respond to treatment. You can certainly try.
I have purchased it here:
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=b09547e4a&_ss=r
More on salpingitis:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

I agree that is a lash egg from salpingitis. I would use either amoxicillin or enrofloxacin to treat for any infection. Enro is not appoved for chickens in this country, and has a longer egg withdrawal, but it can help treat many different bacteria including the ones seen in salpingitis. It is used for dogs and cats, and some vets will prescribe it for chickens. Dosage of the 10% liquid is 0.25 ml for a 5 pound hen given orally twice a day for 5 days. Get it here:
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10
Amoxicillin or Aqua Mox can be used as well.
Have you seen any yellow urates (normally white cap) in her droppings?

I agree that is a lash egg from salpingitis. I would use either amoxicillin or enrofloxacin to treat for any infection. Enro is not appoved for chickens in this country, and has a longer egg withdrawal, but it can help treat many different bacteria including the ones seen in salpingitis. It is used for dogs and cats, and some vets will prescribe it for chickens. Dosage of the 10% liquid is 0.25 ml for a 5 pound hen given orally twice a day for 5 days. Get it here:
Thank you both so much for all the info! I will look into if these places can ship to me.

I have not seen yellow urates in her droppings at all, no. Besides these two instances her droppings have seemed completely normal

Hey! I just got the antibiotic and started treatment today. If I give it in her water she drinks it fine- but i’m not sure if she’s getting the full dose. Is less dosage or too much dosage bad for the chicken? If either are bad I can just syringe feed of course

I only would give antibiotics orally, not mixed in water, so that they get the right dosage. Enrofloxacin is said to taste bad, and one of our most knowledgeable members says that chicken will not drink enough of the liquid. The dosage is so small, it should not be hard to give.

I only would give antibiotics orally, not mixed in water, so that they get the right dosage. Enrofloxacin is said to taste bad, and one of our most knowledgeable members says that chicken will not drink enough of the liquid. The dosage is so small, it should not be hard to give.
Wow! Five days has passed and she just laid an egg today- very thin shell but an egg either way. Thank you so much for your help & knowledge.
Now that i’m done with treatment, should I give her probiotics? Or greek yogurt as a probiotic? I read that probiotics should be given after antibiotics but not sure if that applies here / to chickens. Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom