Hen pooping blood! please help

brimjohnson

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Puyallup, WA
This morning I noticed that my light sussex had pooped straight blood... so I dont think I can really call it poop. It was just blood... At first I was hopeful that this was a possible sign that she is about to start laying as she is about 7 months old. I googled it and couldnt find anything to support that hope. Please help. could she have a disease? And if so what should i do? thank you!

blood in the poop is a symptom of coccidiosis. However, there are other symptoms such as lethargy and fluffed feathers.

How much blood did she poop?

May she have been injured? Or an egg broke inside her?

Is there any more information?

Last edited:
No, she does not have any injuries and i have seen her extrete the blood when she goes to poop. It is very bloody, not much feces in it. And it is not a broke egg because she has not started laying yet. Im pretty sure it is coccidiosis. She does not seem lethargic yet and is eating and drinking normally. I went to the feed store this morning and they said i may have caught it early enough to save her since she isnt lethargic yet. I got some sulmet and put it in her water. I also quarantined her out in my garage in a extra large dog kennel. I am putting the sulmet in the water for my other non quarantined hens as well to be safe even though they arent showing any symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom