Hen pooping blood!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brimjohnson, Sep 28, 2012.

1. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Hi there. I have a light sussex hen that is about 7 months old. I let all my girls out of the coop this morning and noticed that she had pooped straight blood... so I cant really call it "poop". At first I was sort of hoping that it is normal and hopefully a sign that she is about to start laying since she hasnt yet. I "googled" it and couldnt find anything that supported that hope. She is not lethargic and is eating and drinking like normal. Please help. Could this possibly mean she is about to start laying or could she have a disease and if so what should i do? None of the other girls have had blood. Thank you.

2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello & greetings from Kentucky!

Please try posting your question in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures section right here at BYC. Here is the link below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope she is ok and everything turns out fine. However one thing you might want to do is quarantine her away from your other chickens until you find out what the problem is.

[​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Definitely try posting in the Emergencies section and good luck with her :thumbsup

5. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Thank you guys so much! New to this site and had no idea where I was even posting lol. Great website thanks for having me!

6. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]Hope she is better.

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    i hope she gets better.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, brimjohnson, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. Sounds like you've already gotten some good advice. I wish you and your Sussex well!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] hope your chicken gets better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by