Hen pooping dark green poop and acting lethargic

Maximilia

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Northern California
We have a three-year-old light Brahma hen, and she has been sick for about three days. She had this ailment once before last week, but she seemed like she was doing okay, and she started acting normally. But now all her symptoms have returned, and she isn't doing so well. She still eats and walks, but she poops a dark green and acidic looking poop. I will try to get some pictures of it when I'm able to. I did photograph the poop stains on her flufflebutt:

I'm sorry I don't have more, but I can always try and get some more pictures if I can. She has stopped laying eggs these past few days, and she sometimes just sits with her backside protracting and heaving. My mom and I thought that maybe she was egg bound, but it just seems very strange and different from the egg bind cases we've had before. She is very lethargic and slow-moving, but she also still drinks and eats. My mom also says that her butt area looks very red, swollen, and sore-looking. We have given her antibiotics in her water, and we think it has helped, but we just can't figure out what's wrong with her. :( I'm sorry I don't have more information and pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

We have a three-year-old light Brahma hen, and she has been sick for about three days. She had this ailment once before last week, but she seemed like she was doing okay, and she started acting normally. But now all her symptoms have returned, and she isn't doing so well. She still eats and walks, but she poops a dark green and acidic looking poop. I will try to get some pictures of it when I'm able to. I did photograph the poop stains on her flufflebutt:

We have given her antibiotics in her water, and we think it has helped, but we just can't figure out what's wrong with her.
Chicken poop is nothing but what they been eating, some dirt, some greens, some feed, etc---so it want kill you when you take the time to wash her butt. If you pooped your britches---you would get raw, not feel good, etc, etc.... Wash That Butt----LOL----Now that the joking is over----do wash her though----even trim the feathers if needed. Now, do you have her by herself--you said you put antibiotics in her water??? Did she drink it or other chickens drank it. I personally would give her tylan50 for a few days---I do 1ml oral once a day but it has been suggested that it can be given 2 times a day by some knowledgeable people on here. If you free range, I would place her in a pen for a few days----just incase she is getting into/eating something that's not agreeing with her.

Being you know she was laying a few days ago----she is probably not egg bound. Good Luck and do let us know in a few days how she is doing if you do not have other questions before then.

We did wash her already, and we trimmed her feathers. It got all messed up again within a day, and it seems to hurt whenever we try to clean that area. :( But we will clean her again, definitely. And we would separate her from the rest of the flock, but our situation does not permit that, unfortunately. But yeah, we will keep an eye on her food, it could be something that she ate. :/ Yeah, we put antibiotics in her water for the whole flock (we have five birds in total, so not a huge group of ladies), but I will look into the tylan50. Thank you for responding!

We did wash her already, and we trimmed her feathers. It got all messed up again within a day, and it seems to hurt whenever we try to clean that area. :( But we will clean her again, definitely. And we would separate her from the rest of the flock, but our situation does not permit that, unfortunately. But yeah, we will keep an eye on her food, it could be something that she ate. :/ Yeah, we put antibiotics in her water for the whole flock (we have five birds in total, so not a huge group of ladies), but I will look into the tylan50. Thank you for responding!
You do not need to give healthy chickens antibiotic's so giving the tylan50 to the sick chicken is better. Tractor Supply and most feed stores have it. I do not know your situation, but to put her by herself--- I will suggest a decent size dog kennel(open wire) you might have, or 4 free pallets screwed together with something over the top to keep rain off. Some left over chicken wire in a circle with something over it to keep the rain off(if it can not be put under a existing top---just a few suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom