Hen pooping thick cloudy liquid

roxanne

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I have a two year old barred rock hen that has not been acting normal for a week. Today I fed the flock some scratch at 7pm and she didn’t even move. I also noticed that she is pooping out a thick cloudy liquid. It does not look normal at all. Please help!!!

I have a two year old barred rock hen that has not been acting normal for a week. Today I fed the flock some scratch at 7pm and she didn’t even move. I also noticed that she is pooping out a thick cloudy liquid. It does not look normal at all. Please help!!!
Please post some photos.

Has you hen been laying eggs?
Does she have a discharge from the vent?
Is her crop emptying overnight?
While you are checking her crop in the morning, give her a look over for any lice/mites too.

I will check her for lice. I have DE to put on the flock to help with that should they have any. I have not seen any to date. I will also look at her vent again this morning when I get home from Tractor Supply. Last night her vent looked inflamed, but I did not notice any discharge. I have 6 chickens ( 2 are barred rock) so it’s hard to tell if she is or isn’t laying. We have gotten several jello eggs in the last month and so that could be attributed to her.
Her crop was empty when I put the flock up last night … her sisters did not have empty crops … so that tells me she is not eating well. I am also going to worm the hens after I try to treat her with an antibiotic to hopefully correct the vent infection.!!

Back
Top Bottom