Hen possibly sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by broodiehens, Aug 15, 2011.

1. broodiehens

broodiehens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Is this hen sick? She sneezes at least once every 5 minutes, shakes her head, scratches her ear area using her middle toe and sometimes I can hear her breathing like her nose is plugged up. Other than that she looks and acts fine. I'm not sure if she's sick or not.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Yes, sounds like a respiratory illness, isolate her!

3. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Agreed!! Visit one of the illness sites. I would treat the whole flock with tetracycline. My flock had coughing and sneezing last year. Isolated the first one sick, but soon everyone was coughing and sneezing. When you research chicken sickness, it is a little depressing. Everything is bad and causes them to be carriers, etc, etc. Took one chicken to the vet, who told me my whole flock would probably die, but I should try tetracycline. Went to my local, small hatchery. Told them what was wrong and that I needed to pick up antibiotic. Their response was, relax. Chickens will get sick but not every sneeze or cough is a big bad disease. They gave me what I needed, I treated everyone followed by some yougurt and everyone got better, no one died and I have added new chicks a couple of times and they haven't gotten sick either. So, just be proactive. Try to isolate. But, I would treat everyone.

4. broodiehens

broodiehens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Should I mix tetracycline into their water or food? And, how long do I treat them?

5. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Wherever you buy your antibiotic will help you. I cannot. It depends on what % etc. The feedstores or hatchery will usually have an employee that knows livestock. Whenever I have giving antibiotic to a chicken, it was in their water. The back of the bag will have directions. The bags are 'usually' for big giant stock tanks, so you will have to look at the directions carefully. Change the medicated water everyday and give them the medicated water for as many days as the directions say. Ask for help at the feedstore, follow the directions and you should be fine. I am sending you good luck!! After you have given the medication, give them some yogurt for a few days......it will be good for their tummy and they will LOVE you for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by