1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen presented herself to me....eeeewww!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by instar8, Dec 15, 2011.

1. instar8

instar8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    N.IN
    I guess it's my fault, i get a kick out of making that rooster noise that makes the girls all shake their heads in unison....but i never had anyone take me seriously! This barred rock hen pecked my hand, then dropped down, spread her wings, stuck her butt in the air....i petted her back and sent her on her way...AAAck!

i bought 5 laying hens cuz i lost most of mine to a fox last summer, and the ones i hatched weren't old enuf yet to lay before spring. This girl was so aggressive with the other hens to the point that i thought about selling her again, along with the two buff orps, who were also persistently mean...the orps i had before were so mellow. i bought two white leghorns too, but they are the sweetest girls ever, and lay huge eggs every day.

I dunno if i can look this girl in the eye again....;~)

2. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Mine recently started laying and they will do it when I step into the coop. Just the noise of my shoes or if I go to pet them, they will. It's quite funny.

3. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    We call it "the curtsy"

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I had one that would stick her butt up in the air and then squirt me [​IMG] i must be really cute or something...

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Awwww, she squatted for you! That's an HONOR!

But I do like the term "curtsy" much better than the squat. Much more lady-like; thanks, NorthTexaschick!

6. instar8

instar8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    N.IN
    HAHAHAHA!!! I'm really laughing out loud! I guess ameraucanas must be more picky or something, I've been raising chickens for 5 years now, and never had one "curtsey"!!! tooo funny!!! And I'm really bad about making that noise, my grandgirl thinks it's a hoot when all the girls shake their heads...never had one take me up on it!! I guess it is a honor.....i'm the boss or something????

7. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    My brahma and my black australorps do it ALL the time....lol

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have one that offers it up for anyone and everyone. She's a hussy. [​IMG]

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG] LOL! One of my RSL will "curtsy" if I lean over her and grab her to pick her up too quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by