Hen problems with nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovelyduckling, Nov 30, 2016.

1. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2016
    My hen just stated using her nesting box. I went outside this morning to check on her after the rain and I saw a mess. The hay in the nesting box was all messed up, she moved the other eggs I put in to incourage her to lay around, and it was wet. She broke one of her eggs, that may be why it was wet. But in all of the mess I found one unharmed dry egg. I took it out and let my rooster out so I can put her where he was to clean her part out. But before I did I heard crunching sounds and I looked back in and she was eating the broken egg! I've heard of them doing this but I've never seen her do this before. Should I leave out the hay or keep putting it in. She's never liked hay even before we got the new chicken coop. Pls help and thanks in advance!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    New layers can be clumsy getting in and out of the box. I'd pull the real eggs and use golf balls instead, she's not going to break those by mistake.

Any broken egg is fair game to be eaten. That's perfectly normal, and a good use of nutrition, actually. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

You can try adjusting what the bedding is, and how much, to see what she likes. I have enough hens they don't really get a say....I use whatever I have. Shavings, straw, hay, deep litter scooped up from the floor, things like that. Just enough to cushion the bottom of the box and keep the eggs from breaking. Too much bedding and it seems they get distracted trying to re-arrainge the entire thing and wind up breaking eggs.

3. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2016
    Ok yes I'll try less bedding for her! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by