1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

!HEN PROBLEMS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15, Jan 1, 2008.

1. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    my hens wont lay at all ive tried and tried evrything they laid one egg the first day i got them and thats its in my incubator.other than that they wont lay is there any special thing i could do to get em to lay??? help please.

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Just like in the last thread...you just have to be patient. They dont lay everyday, they will even stop for weeks in the winter time, if not months. It happens to us all. Just the way it is. If they are older, they slow down also and if they are new to you, they slow down.

You are putting eggs in the incubator. Do you have a rooster? Oh, I see you do. IMO, hatiching one chick is not such a good thing. They are lonely and chirp all the time wanting to be with others. Very lonely. If you have a brody - as you posted in your last thread- you can put the egg under her. At least when it hatches it will be around other chickens.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  3. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    yes i have a rooster and the egg is fertill

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Like I said, I would incubate one fertile egg since a chick would be alone if it hatches. Just my opinion....

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you do manage to hatch this one egg, be sure to get a small stuffed animal to put in with the baby in the brooder. Just make sure it has no parts that could come off and choke the baby. It will snuggle with the stuffed toy. Mine all love my little stuffed duck.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

WestPalm... The answer is the same as it was yesterday. [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Exactly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by