Hen prolapse won't go back in and turning dark purple! graphic pics!

chloeschickens

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2022
Yesterday at noon I noticed my 2-year-old golden comet had a prolapsed vent. Immediately soaked her in Epsom salt and cleaned the area best I could. I managed to pull out a soft-shelled egg that was stuck inside and applied witch hazel, prep H, and sprayed vetericyn. I tried to push it back inside this morning but it is hard and won't budge. The color of the prolapse is a dark purple and some areas feel hard, like a scab, not looking like healthy tissue. I don't think it had been like that for more than a few hours before I found it but it was below 10 degrees outside so maybe the tissue is frostbitten which made it so dark?? Also concerned about the caked-on white stuff. I thought I had decided to put her down but she is eating and drinking fine and very perky so I am second guessing it :( Is there anything else someone can think for me to do for a chance at recovery? I don't want her to be suffering.

The attached photos are after I applied prep H, so that is the greasy-looking substance.

Thanks to anyone who replies, I've never had to put one of my girls down and don't want to give up on her too easily. I don't think there is much more I can do, I just want to be sure.

Attachments

• ginger2.jpg
    ginger2.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 94
  • ginger1.jpg
    ginger1.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 43
You may be right about frostbite. When the prolapse is out, the red tissue must be kept lubricated with a cream or an oil, or the red tissue can dry out and turn necrotic and die. I would bring her inside where it is warmer. You could try to treat the prolapse with warm soaks at least daily in either warm Epsom salts or soapy water. Use a cloth to gently rub the black tissue. It may bleed, but that is a good sign that there is healthy tissue underneath. Then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment liberally. Vaseline would work as well. Once the swelling is decreased, try to push it back inside. If you can push it back in, even though the necrotic tissue is there, it may just slough off and come out of of the vent. There is a chance that she might not get better, but if she is eating and drinking, that is a good sign.

Sorry she's not doing well.

For keeping it lubricated, coconut oil is also a good choice. I wouldn't use witch hazel - it's drying.

If you have a vet near you who sees chickens they can put some stitches in to keep the prolapse from coming back out. Only issue is next time she goes to lay it is going to get stuck...

Back
Top Bottom