Hen Puffed up and lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TexasNovice, Dec 23, 2013.

1. TexasNovice

TexasNovice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Our hen is puffed up and will not move. Any comments?
    Thanks

2. -Alt

-Alt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    The North
  3. TexasNovice

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks for the response. I haven't seen any of the gateworm symptoms but will watch.

4. -Alt

-Alt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    The North
    Your welcome.

5. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I would give her antibiotic shot and worm her. Make sure she has some food in her crop. If not hand feed her and get her someplace warm. A sick chicken tends to be cold. I usually fill a syringe with 1cc of tylan 50 and 2 cc of penicillin. Mix it back and forth in syringe to mix well then I give a sick chicken 1cc under the skin. I like to use safegaurd liquid goat wormer. 1 cc orally for big chicken and 1/2cc for bantam. If anything break a hot dog in chunks and open the chickens mouth and put it towards the back and she will swallow it. I do the same with bread pour some milk on it and give them chunks of it to get them some nutrition. I will also drop a tube down in their crop and I like to give them vanilla ensure. That gives them some quick energy and helps keep them from being dehydrated You can also add 3cc of tylan 50 injectable to 1 gallon of water for them to drink also. http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7933.

6. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I feel puffed and standing alone is emergency time to treat them. Also I spray a sick one with Adams flea spray under tail and behind neck for mites too. I give them a heat lamp in house to go in and get under for warmth with these cold days

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are there any more symptoms, such as diarrhea, nasal drainage, sneeze, poor appetite, or a full crop that does not empty by morning?

8. TexasNovice

Jun 6, 2011
    I have not seen any additional symptoms except maybe poor appetite.

Thanks

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  10. new chick mom

new chick mom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    we have a puffed up hen as well as very non active for the last couple days, we brought her inside gave her a warm bath and soaked and cleaned around her vent. she did not have any blockage 2 1/2" back inside the egg canal... hubby checked.... no shell pieces, etc.. she is inside the house as we will continue to watch her behavior. Once her bath was done and she was checked all the gunk around the vent area is cleaned up she is no longer puffed up at this time, We would love to have any input on what may be wrong with our Sophia. Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome. We are debating if we should take her to the vets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by