Hen puffed up, lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kull1337, Mar 12, 2017.

1. kull1337

kull1337 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    The last day or 2 one of my barred rock hens has been lethargic looking and really fluffed up. She just slowly walks around doesnt eat or drink much that ive noticed. The last 3 days shes layed double yolks, but ive also noticed she hasnt been roosting at night with the other birds. Instead she perches a couple feet above the ground on a feed trough. Today i found some pretty nasty poop that i can only imagine is hers... anyone have ideas? I do have corid on hand but want to know what I'm treating before usimg it or a wormer.

2. kull1337

kull1337 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is your hen? She has a lot of white urates in her droppings which I think that means she could be dehydrated or have some kidney issues. Could you take her to a vet or at least take some sroppings in for a fecal test to look for worms or coccidiosis? Also, I would check her crop to make sure it is emptying overnight. If she has not been eating it may be empty now. Feel inside her vent to check for a stuck egg, since she has been laying larger than normal double yolk eggs. I would offer her some chopped egg and a small bowl of feed with a lot of water mixed together. If you have electrolytes, I would add those to her water. Corid would not hurt her if you can't take her droppings in, but I wonder more about a possible reproductive problem. Antibiotics are difficult to get from feed stores to put in the water, and a vet can order some if she has some infection. I would separate her in a basket or crate with food and water, and possibly use a towel or paper towels over bedding, to observe her closely.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  4. kull1337

kull1337 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I cant really afford to take her to the vet. I dont think she has a stuck egg since she layed another big double yesterday. I felt her crop it seems empty. I do have electrolytes i could give her along with some egg like you mentioned. We got her from the feed store as a chick in august 2016 so shes not very old.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have any antibiotics to use if needed? Other foods to try are canned tuna packed in water, and yogurt 1 tsp daily can be mixed into her feed for probiotics. I would go ahead and start the Corid since you have it, just in case she has cocci. You can mix 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1 1/2 of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days as her only source of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by