Hen pulling at Tom's chest feathers?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SillyChicken, Mar 19, 2012.

1. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Anyone know what might be going on with this? My thought is stress... or he's too close to the eggs they started laying. I have confined them from free ranging so they could go broody where I want them too.... The hen is pulling pretty hard on his chest feathers.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have witnessed my hens do this but I have no idea why. Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. Haida

Haida Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Western NY
    I was wondering the same this, actually... I have seen my hen do it a few times--looks like it huuuurts! My poor jake!! I think its more of a curiosity thing... she tilts her head and looks at it really hard... then switches eyes.. then cautiously pecks. Then pecks again and grabs! Ow ow ow!

My jake (maybe he's a "tom" now, idk) and hen are only about a year and 4 months old, and his beard is finally starting to poke through his chest feathers... kind of looks like a pinecone. She doesn't peck at anyone else or peck her own feathers, so I'm not toooo concerned... I am keeping a close eye on her, though.

Maybe she wants her own beard? Lol!

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

My hens have beards. :lau

5. Haida

Haida Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Western NY
    THAT'S AWESOME! [​IMG]

I have a few teenagers that are just starting to come into their own... I know I have one female, but another one acts like a hen, talks like a hen but looks like a boy... I wonder if "she'll" have a beard, too? Does it even work that way? Do your bearded hens act like toms?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by