Hen pulling roosters neck feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rooster-red, Sep 15, 2007.

1. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have a hen who has suddenly made a hobby out of pulling one of my roo's neck feathers.
    she pulls them from directly in front and an one side of his neck.
    I checked for bugs, found no trace.
    He is going through molt, and I can see pin feathers on the front of his neck, but on the side where she has been picking there are only broken feather shafts.
    He just stands there and lets her do it.
    She's not eating the feathers, so I know its not related to nutrition.

2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    He's hen pecked.... Thats normal in our house! He's being a good boy just standing there and taking it!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  3. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I would have thought he'd be henpecked by the top hen.
    This one is 3rd out of 13. [​IMG]

4. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Perhaps she's grooming him for a higher up position in the flock [​IMG]
    Sorry I know you need answers, I just thought it sounded really FUNNY....

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hawkeye just stands and lets one on each side of him yank his feathers and pick at his comb. He has the most patience of any man I've ever seen, LOL. Occasionally, when one yanks too hard, he tilts his head and looks at her like, "Take it easy, woman!", LOL.

6. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It wouldn't worry me, but with cold weather not too far off I don't want him to have bare skin exposed.

Maybe I worry too much.

7. speckledhen

Hawkeye is molting anyway. I just hate for them to pick at his comb, especially since the doofus has been sparring with Suede through the fence and they both have had bleeding combs and feet. Then my pick-at-this, pick-at-that pullet, Meg, Scarlett's sister, just zeroes in on his wounds.

8. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    RR,

You live in GA? I wouldn't worry much about weather too cold for your birds.

We have hens who do that too - seems just normal chicken chicken language for some hens to pick at rooster hackles and for sme roos to allow it. Just so long as they don't open any wounds.

-Frank

9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    No wounds, just the feathers.

I've noticed no that she doesn't do it every day, so I guess I'll just relax.

10. speckledhen

Frank, where I live in Ga has been having some 0 degree days in recent winters. I think a naked chicken might get a tad chilly, LOL. I have a couple who have molted plus were the rooster's favorites before that and they are so bare under their wings and on their backs. At least now it's cool enough that they can wear their aprons/saddles and those cover their nakedness somewhat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by