Hen pushed egg out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by janine, Apr 27, 2009.

1. janine

janine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Hi guys, I have 4 chicks so far. About a week ago (before any hatched) the hen pushed one out, I put it back under, but didn't mark it. Today another, (or the same one) was out. Do I remove it and take her judgement? I wrote on it for the moment and placed back under. I'm just scared it's gonna explode and I have three eggs left.... I candled it, it is solid dark with a pretty large air cell, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch cell. What do you think? It was out from under her for quite a while today, a good 18 inches away.

2. chanda

chanda Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    MS
    Hey, Janine. You know, many times, Mamas know things that others don't. If you have any doubts, you can always put it in someone's incubator, but I think I would trust her judgment. It's up to you!

Chanda

3. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    I don't know much about this, but maybe one of the resident "eggsperts" does. Anyone?

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Yes, some experienced hens would kick out bad eggs.

I guess they can sense dead egg perhaps by temperature?

5. janine

janine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Silly Momma, The egg I wrote on "Bad Egg" pipped and hatched yesterday....shew.... glad I didn't throw it away [​IMG] One is still unpipped, we have a total of 7 chicks now, maybe she just got her eggs confused????? By the way...his name....Bad Egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by