Hen pushed out pipped egg...chick still alive!! (UPDATE) IT MADE IT

magikchick

~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
SW Florida
I checked my silkie hen this morning she hatched out 3 little cochin chicks.

She pushed the other 2 eggs out of nest and they were cold. One of the eggs had a pip in it so I wanted to see what had gone wrong with the chick. I started removing the shell and some of sac from around it. Everything looked all right and just as I was getting ready just to throw it away the chick moved. I got it wraped in a warm damp towel with a light on it. Do you think it will come around. I only removed a small part of the shell.

Marsha

Last edited:
Oh my gosh!!!! your not the only one with hatching problems.my dutch bantam hen hatched 2 eggs and 1 other egg was pipping, but it abandouned the pipping egg and im currently holding the egg against my belly to keep it warm!!!! im trying to find a way to save this chick!!!

Anyone out there 2 help us!?
D.gif

I had that happen once. I got the chicky dry and warm and put it back under her, its fine. I tried not to handle it with my bare hands though, I didn't want to to smell like me.

Are the chicks dry? Maybe you could try either putting them back with mom (I'd do it at night when she's calm) or maybe getting them into a brooder with a heat lamp.

Red Rosecomb, keep yours warm until its out, get it dry.

Do you have an incubator already going to put them in until they finish hatching?

ETA: I try to read faster then my brain can process.

Last edited:
Mine is still in the egg. I have a damp towel around it to keep the membrane moist. It's breathing well and making nosie, which I take to be a good sign.

I have to go to work soon. I hate to leave it but if it's going to hatch I guess it will do it if I'm here or not.

Get a heat lamp, or a heating pad whatever you have on hand... The heat lamp would be better but either would work. Put the heat lamp over a box/tote/big bowl and get the temp up to 100ish. Make sure you check the temp. Its going to be very hard to keep the hum up high but you can try putting a cup of water near the egg, also keeping it wraped (not over the pip hole !!) sponges work will also.

Really keep and eye on the temp you dont want to cook the chick, even the temp being on the low side would be better than high !!

Any other questions I can answer ? Just ask !!

I have a heat lamp over it temp is at 100. Wish I could take it to work with me but can't. Thanks for the cup of water idea to keep the humidity up.

Back
Top Bottom